Sunday, February 25, 2007

Programming Fonts

Need a good mono-space font to use when writing and reading code?
During the years that I have been programming, I have come across a few excellent fonts that I regularly use when writing code. Two of them come from Apple, one from Microsoft's typography, and one from Bitstream. There are others that I experiment with to from time-to-time, but I don't generally tend to stick with them.

What are they?
In order of personal preference:
  1. Monaco (Apple; commercial)
  2. Consolas (Microsoft; commercial)
  3. Anonymous (Applet; free)
  4. Vera Sans Mono (Bitstream; free)
Previews:
Short descriptions and preview of these fonts follow.

Monaco, 9p
t on Linux.
Monaco comes with OS X and looks pretty slick.


Consolas, 11pt on Linux.
This font seems to be an enhanced version of Lucida Monospace.
It suits the terminal and your code.


Anonymous, 9pt on Linux.
Anonymous is a well-designed font for code. A slashed-zero is a highlight of this font.


Vera Sans Mono, 10pt on Linux.
Vera Sans Mono comes for free from Bitstreams foundry that was donated to the GNOME project.



I seem to like Monaco more than any other font for coding.

No comments: